An editor from a leading newspaper in Los Angeles tweeted on Tuesday a statement the company had made. In the statement, the company indicated that a green light was given to have the controversial film in movie theaters starting Christmas day.
A report said that the company has not given up on the movie, never thought of canceling the release and they are very excited their movie will be out in many theaters on such a special day like Christmas.
The company is proud to release their film to all the public letting everyone know that they can stand up to people who try to suppress the right of free speech, read the statement released by Sony Pictures.
Seth Rogen who stars in The Interview confirmed on his Twitter account that the news was true.
Many theatres already have committed to play the movie, but it is uncertain if the movie will appear in the number of theaters or cinemas that it was originally scheduled to appear in.
The announcement was made after the release was axed last week by Sony because of the intense pressure they had from hackers that are believed to work for North Korea, since the movie is about a plot to assassinate the leader of the highly secretive country. The hackers threatened 9/11 type violence in each and every theater that played the film. Kim Jong-Un, the leader of North Korea, said that the movie was a disrespectful toward him and an act of war.
Sony’s decision was not taken very well when they decided to hold back the release, as it made fans upset. The media criticized the original decision, as did President Barrack Obama who said that the country cannot live in a society where a dictator is able to impose censorship inside the United States.
It was not announced as to why Sony made the decision to release the film, but it was received positively by everyone with the exception of North Korea.